[iDC] :: Deinstitutionalizing education ::

Heidelberg, Chris Chris.Heidelberg at ssa.gov
Tue Nov 16 12:24:28 UTC 2010

As usual Ted you are right on point, and let me tell you your prediction is closer to reality than we all want to think. Just watch what happens in Washington in January. The grandstanding for 2012 on education and getting rid of the Department of Education is really about to heat up and it will be all politics and standardized testing. Teaching can be ----! You can fill in the blanks. Ted, the hybrid and combination methods work based on my action research, because old school F2F makes the innovative technologies more powerful when the instructor is a skilled communicator. I challenge everyone to look at how many communications courses that most educators DO NOT have to take across disciplines. It is scary! If you want to know why we have a problem in the STEM disciplines look at the curricula and look at the Myers-Briggs profiles of people in those disciplines and you will find that these folks have not been given the communications training to make them more effective educators. No wonder kids don't want to get involved in the STEMs. We are boring them out of their minds, and the change has to occur at the micro-level first or as Ted has eloquently stated: we are doomed to have the folks in my neck of the woods deliver us edicts from Mt. Olympus in Washington.

Chris A. Heidelberg Ph.D.
Loyola University Maryland