[iDC] Next Library

Rolf Hapel hapel at aarhus.dk
Mon Nov 8 16:04:44 UTC 2010

Hi,

My name is Rolf Hapel and I am director of Citizens Services and Libraries
in Aarhus, Denmark. Aarhus is with 300.000 inhabitants the second largest
city in Denmark. I was invited by Trebor to share some of the ideas on how
we are working in the ever more important task of transforming the public
libraries from knowledge sharing institutions of the industrial age to
open learning and culture centers for the knowledge and network based
society. Among the ideas realised in practise in the amalgamation of
citizens' service, public libraries and civic activities to entities
called "community centers". We are also in the process of creating a new
main library, Urban Mediaspace Aarhus, that will be inaugurated by the end
of 2014. In this process we are building partnerships on development
projects with players from research and educational sector, from civic
sector and from media and business sector.

One of our transformation projects is called 'Mindspot', it's a service
where we engage young students to work together with library staff in
creating a youth universe on the library and on the net, thus using their
capabiltites and networks in an innovative process. Have a look here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixsOLvLSARg

The 'Tranformation Lab' on the main library has been the arena for several
development projects:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpFO_L_jA1c

 'Unleash the Users' is a project about methods to create new library
services using participatory design and user involvement. Check it out
here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KsFrkxjtj8

The transformation of the libraries is a process that involve citizens,
politicians, users, staff and institutional and private partners from a
variety of sectors in several countries. We have during the last decade
held several international conferences in Aarhus, all evolving on the
theme of public library development. In the latest years we have coined
the brand 'Next Library' for a series of unconferences and workshops.
Check out 'Next Library 2011' here:
http://nextlibrary.net/