[iDC] Replacing Facebook

Tony Fish - AMF Ventures tony.fish at amfventures.com
Fri May 28 12:02:04 UTC 2010

Overall I have no doubt Facebook will survive but in what form is a more
difficult judgement call as Facebook has highlighted that the value of our
relationships is sufficiently high that they need them and are willing to
risk their Brand to get  more of our digital footprint.  The utility
question (what is facebook for), trade for our information and
implementation of its privacy setting, however, does open up the possibility
for new entrants.  It is naïve to say that inertia; my grandma and friends
will not change, is enough to keep the social networking market closed. It
is possible to your export data, difficult but this will happen.  It is not
impossible to see that a new social media company will offer 50% of its
equity to users as a trade for moving and privacy.  It also possible to see
that your generic login becomes the mechanism to find unique discounts for
you, all these open up the market and trade they I hope will provide a more
even value balance for users.

Have put a longer blog post up "Would Aristotle use Facebook?"
 http://blog.mydigitalfootprint.com/would-aristotle-use-facebook