[iDC] iCollege

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Tue Jun 22 13:07:28 UTC 2010

Hi All,

Extremely interesting conversations.

I thought I'd share an extract with you, of what I have been currently
reading by Pierre Bourdieu, he said it so well:

UTOPIA OF ENDLESS EXPLOITATION

The essence of neoliberalism

What is neoliberalism? A programme for destroying collective structures
which may impede the pure market logic.

by Pierre Bourdieu

"And yet the world is there, with the immediately visible effects of the
implementation of the great neoliberal utopia: not only the poverty of
an increasingly large segment of the most economically advanced
societies, the extraordinary growth in income differences, the
progressive disappearance of autonomous universes of cultural
production, such as film, publishing, etc. through the intrusive
imposition of commercial values, but also and above all two major
trends. First is the destruction of all the collective institutions
capable of counteracting the effects of the infernal machine, primarily
those of the state, repository of all of the universal values associated
with the idea of the public realm. Second is the imposition everywhere,
in the upper spheres of the economy and the state as at the heart of
corporations, of that sort of moral Darwinism that, with the cult of the
winner, schooled in higher mathematics and bungee jumping, institutes
the struggle of all against all and cynicism as the norm of all action
and behaviour."

Wishing all well.

marc

www.furtherfield.org