[iDC] iCollege

Ian Condry condry at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 21 08:53:39 UTC 2010

Hello All,

I'm Ian Condry, a cultural anthropologist at MIT who works in
Comparatie Media Studies, and I've been enjoying this discussion as a
lurker.  I wanted to comment on this:

> To succeed, however, the university will need to up its game and
> make its boundaries more porous by meaningfully integrating emerging
> ways of knowing and new social media (2).

I agree.  The frustration many of us feel around classroom learning,
and the related issue of stultifying conferences (e.g, in Asian
studies, where I've spent some time), demands reform around the
processes of learning, something that many people have commented on
here with a variety of great ideas.

Collaborative learning is a keyword these days, and for me, this
suggests thinking of learning less as one-to-one relationship in a
group space (teacher to student in a classroom) and more as a
networked process of discovery and action.  I'm quite taken by
Christakis and Fowler's book "Connected" and the idea that "three
degrees of separation" tend to define our spheres of influence.
Following from that insight, we can view the "porous boundaries" of
the classroom not simply as a general call to "act in the world" (a
noble but too-big goal), and rather to encourage us to ask, as
students and teachers, "who among our networks of people that we know
can help us solve the problem(s) at hand?"

It's vague in my mind, but I feel like there is something to be gained
from thinking in a more nuanced way beyond "individual/group/world"
towards three-degree social networks, and a kind of "pass along the
question" approach to problem-solving that uses classrooms as an
epicenter for activating larger social networks.  For example, I
always viewed  the Milgram experiment around 6-degrees of separation
as evidence that "the world is small."  But the more important lesson
is that unsolvable problems (e.g., get this letter to someone you
don't know) can be tackled by passing along pieces of the problem to
people in our networks.

I think this goes beyond using social media, and hinges instead on
rethinking the way information is meaningful and valuable.  What
matters are the social networks in which information is actionable.

Yet here too, I ask with Trebor, what are the best examples of showing
how this works?  I think Wikipedia is only one among a multitude of
possible models . . .

All the best,
Ian

Ian Condry
Associate Director, Comparative Media Studies
Assoc. Professor, Foreign Languages and Literatures
Room 14N-314
MIT
Cambridge, MA 02139
http://iancondry.com