[iDC] iCollege

Nancy White nancyw at fullcirc.com
Sat Jun 19 15:12:57 UTC 2010

My first response is "amen."  And that is again,
as I noted in my opening post, from someone who
is not an academic, who is somewhat lost in most
of this conversation as it lacks the type of
context I experience learning and facilitating
networked learning in the world.

It is "amen" because I see the model Stepheen et
al are practicing, developing, living --> echoed
in the network of folks I work with in the
non-academic world of learning at work, in life,
etc. It exists. It thrives. It bumps up against
traditional models of organizational learning
that focus on training and course packages, But
it lives and thrives. That is important.

My observation/assumption is that this model (and
perhaps our overall model of thriving in this
world we are on the verge of destroying) is based
on a (radical?) shift in how we as individuals,
communities and societies choose to be and live
in the world. It questions business models, governance, EVERYTHING!

My question is, IF this model represents a
signficant shift in the "way things work/we
operate", can shifting education help shift the
world? Or are there other things that need to
shift before or along with education to make this happen.

What do I mean by this "shift?" I'm not sure I
can articulate it. I'll try... ;-) A
reconfiguration of individualism and societal
cooperation. I become MORE responsible for me and
when we do this, we all become more responsible
(no, that is not the word I want -- usefully
interdependent?) to each other.  The reason we
need both is that we need the individual
motivation to act, we need the creative and rich
knowledge/resources and opportunities for
cooperation and collaboration from the network.
Neither can operate alone. Thus I would
distinguish between strong individuals and
individuals who only think of/take care of self
or totally rely on others to do so.

Bottom line, beyond the onward development and
preservation of your roles as thinkers and actors
in academia, what is the role of the changes in
education in the wider world? Should it be
released from the academic world altogether? Or
is there an ecosystem that ties the model Stephen suggests to the wider world?

Nancy

At 12:09 PM 6/18/2010, you wrote:
> [...]
>Message----- > From:
>idc-bounces at mailman.thing.net [mailto:idc- >
>bounces at mailman.thing.net] On Behalf Of Trebor
>Scholz > Sent: Friday, June 18, 2010 1:13 PM >
>To: idc at mailman.thing.net > Subject: [iDC]
>iCollege > > Roughly four minutes into this
>conversation with Jon Stewart of "The > Daily
>Show," governor of Minnesota, Tim Pawlenty,
>brings on the Good > News. There really is an
>efficient business model for higher education >
>where networked learners can simply pull down
>their just-in-time > education onto their iPads,
>he claims. > > “Do you really think in 20
>years somebody’s going to put on their >
>backpack drive a half hour to the University of
>Minnesota from the > suburbs, hault their
>keester across campus and listen to some
>boring > person drone on about Spanish 101 or
>Econ 101? . . . Is there another > way to
>deliver the service other than a one size fits
>all monopoly > provided that says show up at
>nine o’clock on Wednesday morning for > Econ >
>101, can’t I just pull that down on my iPhone
>or iPad whenever the heck > I feel like it from
>wherever I feel like, and instead of paying >
>thousands of dollars can I pay 199 for iCollege
>instead of 99 cents for > iTunes, you
>know?” > >
>http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-june-10-2010/exclusive---tim-
> > pawlenty-unedited-interview-pt--1 > > Quality
>online courses are in fact neither cheap nor
>easy to teach but > such nuance does not fit
>into the shtick of the Republican governor. >
>The > subtext of his appearance on the national
>stage is an alarming crusade > by for-profit
>online-education companies that try to activate
>an > understanding of their money-making
>courseware as being more deserving > of state
>funding than, say, liberal arts education, which
>is cast as > Luddite and stuffy -if not
>obsolete- ivory tower where administrators >
>just don't get today's "digital natives." When
>students default on > their > loans, for
>example, let's stick the debt with the
>government. > > Pawlenty proposes to "put the
>consumer in charge, whether it’s > education >
>whether it’s health care to the extent we can
>technology can help a > lot." and Jon Stewart
>retorts that, well, it's “hard to disagree
>with > that.” > > Really, Jon? > > >
>Photo Stream: >
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/idcnetwork/ > >
>  RSS feed: >
>http://rss.gmane.org/gmane.culture.media.idc > >
>iDC Chat on Facebook: >
>http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2457237647
> > > Share relevant URLs on Del.icio.us by
>adding the tag iDCref
>Photo Stream:
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/idcnetwork/
>RSS feed:
>http://rss.gmane.org/gmane.culture.media.idc iDC
>Chat on Facebook:
>http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2457237647
>Share relevant URLs on Del.icio.us by adding the tag iDCref

Nancy White | Full Circle Associates | Connecting communities online
nancyw at fullcirc.com | +1 206 517 4754 | GMT - 8
http://www.fullcirc.com/