[iDC] cloud computing and the university

Gabriella Coleman biella at nyu.edu
Mon Jun 14 12:54:47 UTC 2010

On 06/12/2010 05:23 AM, Elijah Saxon wrote:
> On 06/11/2010 04:52 AM, Ulises Mejias wrote:

> Does anyone know what happens when a student graduates? Does their
> university gmail account rollover to a regular gmail account? If Buzz
> makes anything clear, it is that Google realizes it needs better social
> network data and that gmail is the path by which it is going to get it.
> What better social network to own than newly minted college grads?

I was on the technology committee of my school and they were considering
this move (but thankfully never acted on it. A number of us were
vehemently against it). What I learned at the meeting--and I don't know
if this is Google's policy across the board--is that student data would
not be mined as long as they were students (due to FERPA [1]) When they
graduated, students got to keep the email but Google had the right to
reach their tentacles in there.

Not sure again if this is the agreement for schools that have made use
of the service but that was the scenario presented to us a few years ago.

Biella

[1] http://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html

Gabriella Coleman, Assistant Professor
Department of Media, Culture, & Communication
New York University
239 Greene St, 7th floor
NY NY 10003
212-992-7696