[iDC] Why do we need physical campuses?

Sessums,Christopher Davis csessums at coe.ufl.edu
Thu Jun 10 18:18:50 UTC 2010

Andreas,

Speaking of hands-on learning processes, you¹ll be happy to know that
Wal-Mart will begin offering online degrees to its employees:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/business/10public.html?src=me&ref=business

Wal-Mart employees can earn a degree in retail management or transportation
logistics and apply this new knowledge on the job. Perhaps Wal-Mart will
offer incentives to their employees like loans to complete their degree,
work-study opportunities, employee discounts.

While many corporate and university ties have existed for ages, could this
be the real future of education and learning--a company package that used to
be only available to executives and management? Or will online programs be
viewed as the ugly step-child, reinforcing the gap between management and
labor?

The possibilities are endless, no? I imagine many large corporations,
colleges, and universities will be watching this closely.

In terms of equity and access to higher or tertiary education, could this
same model be offered in countries that manufacture the products being sold
at Wal-Mart?

WWMT? (What would Marx think?)

-Chris

Christopher D. Sessums, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Associate in Educational Technology
School of Teaching and Learning
College of Education
University of Florida
(e) csessums at coe.ufl.edu