[iDC] Why do we need physical campuses?

Andreas Schiffler aschiffler at ferzkopp.net
Thu Jun 10 14:59:16 UTC 2010

I guess there is more to a physical learning environment than just a
"perceived value": it is the real value of practical hands-on learning
and the subtleties of person-to-person communications that go with it -
the practical and sensorial learning which is hard to replicate in
distance learning or VR. I believe that these traits inherent in
physical learning environments are often treated as secondary when they
should be an area of primary investment.

Such grandfathering may be due to a deliberate focus today on a
preparation for the "information processing age" or it may be a
financial or other resource constraints that limits the scalability of
physical learning spaces. I think "online" should not be treated as a
substitute but rather as an augmentation to supplement physical spaces
to extend their reach in time and space.

--Andreas