[iDC] Replacing Facebook (Geert Lovink)

micha cárdenas azdelslade at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 18:19:20 UTC 2010

As I walk around campus today, I have the urge to peaches' I DONT GIVE
A FUCK song, because I'm so pissed about losing aaaarg.org. This is
TOO MUCH. When will we all finally reach our limit? It is my hope that
a million aaaarg mirrors will spring up...

Of course a lot of us have been brewing these dreams of escaping
social networks for a long time...
(http://bang.calit2.net/tts/category/facebook/) but it seems that now
we need to organize, we need a distributed strategy, to both help
efforts to develop new autonomous networks like elgg, identi.ca,
opensim and diaspora, but also to infiltrate and disrupt networks like
facebook, twitter and second life. In fact, second life is a perfect
case study of the horror of what these network owners imagine, a whole
world where everything you own, everything that is you, every bit of
your body and identity resides on their servers, and everyday new
Linden Labs licensing restrictions come out to legally  bind people
into the system and prevent escape at all turns.

Personally, I've been invested for quite a while in trying to develop
new networks, including networks such as radical porn sites, just one
example of the parts of ourselves and our lives that are excluded and
stripped from us in these corporate spaces. Actually my book calling
for the development of new autonomous networks stemming out of the
demand for the ability to change my identity constantly and at will
just came out (http://www.amazon.com/Trans-Desire-Affective-Cyborgs-C%C3%A1rdenas/dp/0982530994/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275588562&sr=8-1).

Still, even as we need to develop our own networks and software, we
also have to move to developing our own infrastructure
(http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2009/06/22/18603456.php)! We can no
longer rely on phone companies to provide our connections to each
other! We need to be in control of the very hardware itself, and we
all have routers in our homes that we can switch for just this
purpose!

As the case of ricardo dominguez and the bang.lab shows, university
networks are no longer any haven for free thought and radical
experimentation, we need to seriously dedicate our own resources and
lives to these struggles before WIPO controls all of our daily
interactions...

Sorry for the rant, I just can't take it anymore...