[iDC] iCollege

Zbigniew Lukasiak zzbbyy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 05:50:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Simon Biggs <s.biggs at eca.ac.uk> wrote:
> Yes, my mistake. I should have said P2P publication sharing platform. It's
> target is the domain currently dominated by Thomson but with an open source
> ethic. However, it does have a premium mode. Experience suggests this is
> where the intended business model lies. That is not open source but involves
> a pay-wall. The question is whether Mendeley offers something new which
> connects with an open source ethic or not?

I am working on project in many ways parallel to what is advertised at
the Mendeley page, but  only the web part, i.e. the
share/discuss/discover part.  Interestingly we are also London based
but our grant mandates us to release our code completely as Open
Source, so maybe it could be interesting for you.  We currently have
just one site: http://philpapers.org/ , it is a web site for
philosophers, but the engine theoretically should be applicable for
other research fields.  It is a London University project sponsored by
a JISC grant.

--
Zbigniew Lukasiak
http://brudnopis.blogspot.com/