[iDC] Theories of Information Visualization

Raymond Cha ray.cha at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 14:07:11 UTC 2010

Hello Lily,

A good place to start is with Edward Tufte, a pioneer in the field.
His first book, The Visual Display of Quantitative Information, is a classic.
The others have insights too.

http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/books_vdqi

Christian Sandvig's link to his syllabus included on of Tufte's more
recent books, Beautiful Evidence.

Also, there is some interesting work in mapping and cartography that
might be interesting to you. A historic overview for the general
reader is The Story of Maps by Lloyd Brown.

http://www.amazon.com/Story-Maps-Lloyd-Brown/dp/0486238733

Hope this helps.

-Ray.

--