[iDC] The SL Unleashing.

ricardo at ambriente.com ricardo at ambriente.com
Sat Jan 9 03:20:17 UTC 2010

Hello Everyone,

I'm not on Second Life although I'm one of those people who created an
avatar long ago and didn't return to it.

I'm writing now, because when I read about critical artists using SL, I'm
dumbfounded by the lack of criticality toward Linden Lab, their treatment
toward employees and that artists using SL are uncritically contributing
to a commercial product with questionable ethics.

I'm largely writing from the position of an educator who has seen
talented, young students eagerly take jobs with Linden Lab only to be
overworked and underpaid - taken advantage of for lack of professional
experience.  Linden Lab has a history of hiring young talented college
graduates, paying them a low salary and demanding well over 8 hours a day.
 Kids stick with the job, because they think it will lead them somewhere.
I find this treatment of young artists entirely unethical.  And it's
disappointing to here of critically engaged artists using a corporate
platform without a critical perspective toward the corporation that they
are playing tribute to by contributing to its environment and popularity
while it mistreats its employees.

ricardo