[iDC] Books/texts on democracy

Stephen Downes stephen at downes.ca
Wed Jan 6 03:33:02 UTC 2010

George Siemens wrote:
> What books or texts would list members suggest as "must reads" on
> topics of democracy, equality, and personal liberty in relation to the
> state? I'm familiar with the usual crowd: Locke, Rousseau, Mill,
> Hamilton, Paine, Tocqueville, Schumpeter, etc.
Hmmmm...

'The Struggle for Democracy', Patrick Watson
'Civilisation', Kenneth Clark
'Cosmos', Carl Sagan (esp. 'Who Speaks for Earth')

'Voltaire's Bastards' and 'The Collapse of Globalism', John Ralston Saul
'The Assault on Reason', Al Gore

'Kicking Ass in Canadian Politics', Warren Kinsella
'On the Take', Stevie Cameron
'No Logo', Naomi Klein
'Manufacuring Consent', Noam Chomsky

-- Stephen

> George

Stephen Downes  ~  Research Officer  ~  National Research Council Canada

http://www.downes.ca  ~  stephen at downes.ca         __\|/__ Free Learning