[iDC] Anyone using SL

Stephanie Rothenberg info at pan-o-matic.com
Wed Jan 6 06:00:51 UTC 2010

Hi Andreas,

I think people are still using SL but more of a dedicated crew and for
more goal oriented purposes.

IN TERMS OF ARTISTS there's the well known virtual performance troupe
Second Front (http://www.secondfront.org) that includes IDC'ers Scott
Kildall (also "No Matter" project) and Patrick Lichty (virtual man
genius). I believe Patrick is doing a project related to Warhol's
factory in SL but I'll let him chime in on that himself.

There is transgender artist Micha Cardenas who did a durational
project in SL about becoming transgendered called "Becoming Dragon" http://turbulence.org/blog/2008/12/31/second-life-becoming-dragon-micha-cardenas
http://ucsdopenstudios.com/2009/artists.php?a=Micha_Cardenas

John Craig Freeman's "Imaging Place" - a great global mapping project
http://institute.emerson.edu/vma/faculty/john_craig_freeman/imaging_place/imaging_place.html
Also by John and Will Pappenheimer is Virta-Flaneurazine (Walter
Benjamin's flaneur in SL)
http://www.willpap-projects.com/Docus/Projects_List/MainProjectsFrameset.html

Then there are numerous re-enactments:
Eva and Franco Mattes' Synthetic Performances (2007 - 2008) are a
series of six re-enactments of historic performances of the 60s and
70s, staged by the artists’ virtual alter-egos in the synthetic world
of Second Life.
http://www.reakt.org/imponderabilia/index.html
And Joseph DeLappe: Gandhi’s “Salt March to Dandi” in Second Life
http://saltmarchsecondlife.wordpress.com

Jack the Pelican Presents, a gallery in W'bg Bklyn also hosts the
ongoing podcast "Brooklyn is Watching", an informal discussion-based
show about art in SL
http://brooklyniswatching.com
And also Ars Virtua Gallery in SL continues to feature new inworld
exhibitions:
http://arsvirtua.com

And of course there are lots of bad artists that continue to emerge
but as the article you posted states, Linden Labs keeps making more
islands so there's a space for everyone.

ON THE ACADEMIC FRONT there are all the great resources that the
previous emails listed. More and more universities are using SL for
collaborative, discussion-based learning and for simulation training.
The ability to role-play in a real time collaborative environment is
actually very effective. There are many videos on youtube documenting
college level training programs from training border patrol guards to
flight attendant safety for rogue passengers to dentistry. At SUNY
Buffalo where I teach, the medical school is developing a virtual
triage unit to evaluate their ER and to train staff. Many schools are
moving over to the open sim which is more cost effective and gives
more autonomy. In my own classroom I use SL b/c students can easily
create prototypes and realizations of their ideas and it encourages
collaboration. It's also a great way to talk about issues of digital
labor/playbor.

The architecture and urban planning community has also been using it a
lot and developing some interesting tools.
http://studiowikitecture.wordpress.com

There are also many activist communities and non-profits that hold
regular meetings and events. These groups use SL to mobilize real
world actions, fundraise, share information and stay connected. You
might say why not just use email or a blog but to communicate via an
avatar is actually much more engaging. Its expensive to set up a multi-
person video chat so SL is more feasible and as the article says, you
can use voice.
Here's a list of some:
http://www.techsoup.org/community/secondlife
http://virtualnativelands.org/
This lists several orgs doing interesting work
http://lindenlab.com/lindenprize/finalists

In terms of ECONOMICS, I agree that most people making some of their
livelihood inworld are doing this thru virtual real estate but there
are many other types of inworld jobs that generate all or partial
income. Aside from the more well known jobs such as personal "escorts"
and the builders who create virtual consumables, there are wedding
planners, people who work in or run virtual maternity clinics for
pregnancy services (bot babies), people who own or work in spas, music
performers, club dancers, doctors, therapists. I've been researching
people who do similar jobs in their real life and in their Second LIfe
and there is definitely a cross over.

So to sum it all up, I think you either have an affinity for virtual
environments or you don't and those who stick with it have found an
important purpose for it  whether it be an artistic medium, education/
training and/or technical development, or money making. And then there
are those that have found that the social networking is very important
in their lives because they don't get a lot of f2f contact (i.e. live
in remote locations, are physically disabled or elderly and are unable
to leave the house).

cheers,
Stephanie

Stephanie Rothenberg