[iDC] Books/texts on democracy

Megan Boler megan.boler at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 20:35:57 UTC 2010

I am just in the midst of finalizing a course syllabus on Concepts of
Community I am co-teaching with Etienne Turpin (who formulated the central
arc of this particular course) and I believe our material relates closely to
some of your topics.  Hope this may be useful.  I also teach courses more
specifically around democracy and media (eg, my recent edited text that
includes essays by some members of this list: Digital Media and Democracy:
Tactics in Hard Times MIT 2008
http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11464,  and
also btw two recent review out on Resource Center for Cyberculture Studies:
http://rccs.usfca.edu/bookinfo.asp?BookID=439&ReviewID=635

but in terms of the strictly philosophical side, this outline may be more
relevant. The focus is a bit more community and political theory than
democracy per se, but as I have been reviewing many political theory syllabi
I see vast overlap in studies of community and democracy.  Interesting even
to articulate how the latter might be addressed without consideration of
questions of the common.

Megan Boler, Professor
Associate Chair
Theory and Policy Studies
Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, University of Toronto
252 Bloor Street West
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1V6
www.meganboler.net