No subject

Mon Feb 15 14:45:59 UTC 2010

has the same strict provisions in data retention that many university
libraries have.  For example, Cornell University states that they will
delete all search records within weeks, while WorldCat does not have the
same policies (as far as I can tell).  As well, WorldCat includes all
sorts of data tracking across their pages (powered by Omniture, Inc.,
"online business optimization"), includes links to multi-national
corporations for the potential purchase of books, requires your search
to be sent in the clear across the internet, and makes it more difficult
to get to pertinent information (such as whether or not a book is
checked out, and where it is located on campus).  Since Cornell still
provides access to their "classic" catalog, I wrote a simple Firefox
extension to redirect all library searches to the classic catalog
automatically; it's called in a rather utilitarian fashion "Replace
Library Form" (see http://zeitkunst.org/projects/replace-library-form ).
 Such an extension is relatively straightforward to write for those who
have experience in writing Javascript.  If others are interested in the
possibility of writing such an extension for their own institution,
contact me off-list.

Best,

nick knouf