[iDC] Off Topic: Defining networked art

Seeta Peña Gangadharan whoa at stanford.edu
Sun Dec 19 17:56:10 UTC 2010

Hi,

My name is Seeta Peña Gangadharan. I'm very new to this group. Just
caught wind of this particular thread and wanted to share a piece that
seems relevant to the conversation.

The article <http://nms.sagepub.com/content/11/1-2/279.short> is: "Mail
Art: Networking without Technology." I looked at the cultural practices
of mail artists and other networked artists in the San Francisco Bay
Area, and how their work crossed paths with early adopters of the
internet (e.g., the virtual community of The Well in the mid 80s). My
argument had to do with the way that networked art supported an
emerging, tech-based discourse around networked culture. The encounters
between mail artists, other networked artists, alternative arts groups
like La Mamelle, and folks at The Well served as important breeding
ground for network logics. These encounters were not exploring technical
aspects of digital networks per se... but cultural ones related to play
(pseudonymity, anonymity), egalitarianism, collaboration, and other
relational ideals.

Related to Heidi's original questions, the connections between mail art,
pre-digital networked arts, net art, and more seem evident to me,
especially when considering the role of alternative arts groups like La
Mamelle. A whole slew of artists passed through this community of
practice; and while some stayed within their own, original domains,
others moved from one medium to the next and experimented in new ways.
The sum of experiences, I think, contributed to current day
understandings and experiences of network culture.

Anyway... sounds like an amazing project and I wish you the best with it.

Seeta

Seeta Peña Gangadharan, Ph.D Candidate
Department of Communication
Stanford University