[iDC] Off Topic: Defining networked art

Armin Medosch armin at easynet.co.uk
Fri Dec 17 07:30:20 UTC 2010

Heidi,

I think a similar approach to yours was tried by Simon Pope when he
curated the travelling exhibition Art for Networks in 2002. You can find
a review here: http://www.a-n.co.uk/interface/reviews/single/67732
It has been quite a while ago and I don't want to misrepresent Simon's
views (you can find an interview here where he explains his intentions
http://sites.google.com/site/ambulantscience/Index/texts)
but as far as I understood he wanted to establish a richer and
technology neutral understanding of networks; this at a time just a few
years after some artists who were seen at the time to be leading
net.artists had very publicly resigned.

In my catalogue contribution I consciously focused on wrieless free
community networks to highlight the physicality and reality of networks
and that building networks _can_ be concomitant with building
communities (which is very different from saying that networks foster
communities which was one of the tropes of the 1990s).

The problem with a technology-neutral view of networks and highlighting
just the processes and communications is that you are engaging only with
one specific layer, the top layer of symbolic exchanges and human
understandable meanings. Below that however are several other layers
which shape those communications insofar as they make possible certain
things and disallow others. By ignoring all those layers they become a
technological subconsious, a repressed which will return, demand its
right to be recognised. It is like you want to talk about the beauty of
mobility culture, i.e. cars without acknowledging that they are a
disaster for the environment in quite many ways.

Similar to see mail art as a predecessor for net art is all well in a
certain sense but in another way it is a bit misleading. networks are
now near ubiquituous, you have them on your phone and on your computer,
you have them even in quite remote areas. networks and computation are
still the major driving engine of economic growth - which is something
you cant say of the postal networks of the 1960s-70s. For instance,
reading an article on Google recently in the FT the author pointed out
how it was Google's strategy to use the mobile phone operating system
Android to also get into people's homes, to become part of the
infrastructure of networked households. Now that's a viral strategy
which is absolutely really stunning as it is based on a dialectics
between being very small, very viral, just a piece of software, a widget
voluntarily installed by people on their own phones, and this being
brought together at the back end in giant data warehouses which harvest
ever more knowledge about people and their relationships.

Now those net-entrepreneurs still understand the net much better than
any artists and theorists which is unfortunate because what they are
planning is both admirably smart and really evil and goes on unchecked
if people like us focus on producing beautiful ideas on the symbolic
layer alone. Castells made a big effort to understand the net but his
assessment is too optimistic and he fetishises the network form, so in
the end he is deterministic. Maybe the question will soon be how we
defend ourselves against networks, you know, skynet and all that ;-)

regards
Armin