[iDC] Lessons to Be Learned From Paulo Freire as Education Is Being Taken Over by the Mega Rich

micha cárdenas azdelslade at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 00:54:04 UTC 2010

2010/11/24 sergio basbaum <sbasbaum at gmail.com>

> Dear Trebor and IDCs,
>
> It is amazing to see Freire's name invoked in this list.
>
> Freire belongs to a great generation of Brazilian intelectuals and artists,
> who had courage to develop very original paths of thinking, and I count him
> with names like Celso Furtado, Darci Ribeiro, Helio Oiticica, Lygia Clark
> and Glauber Rocha, for example -- people who were very independent and
> pointed directions for Brazil to be a fair, creative and innovative society.

Hello all,

Yes, thanks for this article!

I also always mention bell hooks when discussing Freire and pedagogy. Her
book Teaching to Transgress discusses the importance of emotion in pedagogy,
including pleasure and care/affection for those being taught, despite the
pretense that education should be cold and objective.

Another great article by giroux which many may be already familiar with is
Democracy's Nemesis the Rise of the Corporate University:

http://csc.sagepub.com/content/9/5/669.short

I read this essay with my class on the University as a Site of Politics in
the spring. The students found the article very illuminating and I still
cite the example of the harvard sleep institute regularly. Two of the
projects that came out of that class were

Picture with Yudof, http://www.picturewithyudof.info

and

Expedited Diploma Manufacturing Services (a diploma vending machine, taking
privatization to its logcial conclusion)

http://edms.tumblr.com/

thanks,

  micha

--
micha cárdenas

Co-Author, Trans Desire / Affective Cyborgs, Atropos Press,
http://is.gd/daO00
Lecturer, Visual Arts Department, University of California, San Diego
Lecturer, Critical Gender Studies Program, University of California, San
Diego
Artist/Researcher, UCSD School of Medicine
Artist/Theorist, bang.lab, http://bang.calit2.net

blog: http://transreal.org

gpg: http://is.gd/ebWx9