[iDC] It Doesn't Just Get Better, This Is Political

Margaret Morse morse at ucsc.edu
Thu Dec 9 20:42:17 UTC 2010

Dear Micha,
I was very moved by your outrage and frustration.  I can't speak for
UCSD, but I think UC Santa Cruz was also established in an isolated
and beautiful area on a hill and given architecture without a center.
It might well have a few friendly spots in it for trannies, judging
from a couple of my students.   The campus generates microclimates
that can support difference, but then it takes a conscious effort and
dedication to overcome an often unconscious apartheid that creates
seams and paths that keep people apart even when they are together
throughout daily life, in town, in dorms and in the classroom.  I am
glad the Chancellor has established an initiative this year to work on
this problem.

  I met a retired diplomat (Middle East, Balkan war) two years ago who
developed literature and a method of student run "sustained dialog".
The method indicates that this dialogue between the races (in this
case) takes sustained effort over a longer time frame.  His name is
Harold Saunders, www.sustaineddialogue.org.  He mentioned that it was
in use at Stanford and a few other campuses.   Perhaps someone knows
if it has achieved any successes and if it is still being supported by
students. The guidebook is built using diplomatic techniques and
experiences and possibly South African truth and reconciliation
methods so we know it can have ghastly failures as well heartening
successes.  I personally walk across the seams whenever I can, but I'm
thinking about how I can join an initiative to work toward widespread
and lasting results of inclusion.

RE dialogue, I think it gets longer term results than protest, but
protest has to be there to draw attention and resources (hopefully) to
the problem.   Thinking about Obama's faith in dialogue, however, when
the "other side" would llke to take over and abolish the US government
it gives me pause.  There has to be a necessity for and commitment to
dialogue for it to really happen.  There has to be a more complex
strategy for the coming dreadful years in US politics and economic
policy.  (It occurs to me that the war in Afghanistan has become a
strange mixture of entry level dialogue, drones and IEDs for our
soldiers.  It is certainly a new kind of fighting compared to Vietnam
and Gulf Wars I and II.)  A rethink or "concept work" is probably in
order for me to sort out what might be productive to do now rather
than relying solely on traditional understandings of dialogue.

Thinking about those who are excluded from the university as teachers--
including yourself--requires even greater consideration and long term
effort since it involves redesigning a system that relies on cheap,
disposble labor. I was a disposable "gypsy scholar" fo many years and
was often told that my work record was "not real."  Nothing counted
and the longer I was in that status the worse my chances were of
getting out.  I wrote my way of it.  Now the "gysies" are being shed
from an educational system fighting for economic survival.  What to
do?  Especially if this shedding results in less diverse faculty and
teaching pools.

Thanks for sharing your anguish with us!  I hope that people who are
far more practiced in dealing with the seams directly will weigh in.
I could use some help and ideas for when I return to teaching in 2011.

Margaret Morse

U of California Santa Cruz on sabbatical in Berlin