[iDC] iCollege

Andreas Schiffler aschiffler at ferzkopp.net
Sun Aug 8 18:10:35 UTC 2010

  On 6/22/10 9:08 AM, Trebor Scholz wrote:
> George broad up the costs of institutionalized learning. Currently,
> there are fierce debates about education in Germany and it seems as if
> the introduction of high tuition and student loans is immanent. In the
> US, colleges and universities are placing so much hope in online courses
> because their institutional budgets get tighter by the day and this
> "distance learning" is profitable. But while this is *not* an argument
> against online education, let me be straight. I do not think that we
> should inculcate new social media to do everything faster, more
> effective, and cheaper.

Wouldn't cost seem to be ultimately one of the key driving factors for a
shift away from traditional university education though.

Even Bill Gates thinks that institutionalized tuition is way too
expensive (by as much as a factor of 25):
http://news.slashdot.org/story/10/08/08/168229/Forget-University-mdash-Use-the-Web-For-Education-Says-Gates

--Andreas