[iDC] learning ecologies

Andreas Schiffler aschiffler at ferzkopp.net
Sun Apr 11 04:09:20 UTC 2010

I am half way through reading Mark Bauerlein's alarmist "The Dumbest
Generation" (Backcover catchphrase: ... reveals the disturbing and
ultimately, incontrovertible truth, cyberculture is turning us into a
society of know-nothings". If the truth it portrays - mostly
substantiated by quoting study after survey after anecdotal evidence -
holds up, then at least the average under-30 American has indeed less of
the more traditional literacy and common knowledge as compared to the
over 30-year-old's. There abilities have been replaced with a form of
e-literacy and e-behaviors, which do not seem to be an equal substitute
to what is lost.

I see no reason to disagree with this assessment. The fallacy of
technology-cheerleaders seems to be a belief, that IT and the Internet
have a built-in benefit to lower the bar needed to attain knowledge. We
think Wikipedia makes us smarter and helps kids with learning, when in
fact it actually raises the bar. While anyone would agree that access to
content is not equals understanding of content, with access to digital
content, learners have to manage larger and larger volumes of
information (most of it autogenerated or trivial junk), spend time with
more complex messages (AFAIK WYSIAYG), shift from one technology to the
next, and other "complications", And all this is happening on systems
and platforms which are consistently getting sucked into the muck of
commercialization and entertainment over time (iMac, iBook, iPod,
iPhone, iPad = delivery platform for iAds).

I wish us all luck with the research. We are at best at the beginning of
understanding how to constructively handle the shift caused by the
replacement of "the book" (tm) with commercialized networks, immense
data silos, infantilization of discourse and an avalanche of simplistic
"smart" devices. It probably has to be lived to be understood.

--Andreas