[iDC] Intro

Ted Byfield byfieldt at newschool.edu
Thu Sep 24 05:13:00 UTC 2009

Hi, all --

Good to see many familiar names, and good as well to see some ones.
For those who don't know me, brief intro:

I currently teach in the School of Art, Media, and Technology at
Parsons, a division of the New School. Aside from the usual run of
required courses, over the last few years, I've led courses that, for
example, have looked at ebook readers like the Kindle (informal
subtitle: "historico-epistemological crisis or consumer shite?"),
speculative cartography, economic data as cultural artifact, telecoms
and subjectivity -- fun, elusive stuff of the kind that should be
familiar to many of you. My output over the last several years has
been slender while, among other things, I served as the Associate
Chair of a department that, in itself and in its institutional
setting, was grown asymptotically and went through a sort of
everlasting-gobstopperish reorganization. Last year and this year,
I've also been a Visiting Fellow at the Information Society Project of
Yale Law School, and excellent entity which should be on your
respective radars, if it isn't already.

Some of you know me from the salad days of the late-90s euroconf
circuit, mainly the N5M series and its spawn; you may also know my
name from the nettime mailing list, which I've been co-moderating with
Felix Stalder for more than a decade now (or you may not -- since the
Götterdämmerung of the "moderation wars" ca. '98, FS and I have
approached our role as a community service). Before that my checkered
past involved editing nonfiction (for Zone, Dia, the New Press,
Cambridge UP,  inter alia), technical work in experimental theater
(everyone from Richard Foreman to SRL), making art (around galleries
like Pat Hearn and A.F.A), and thinking about the rise (yes, rise) of
medievalisms (yes, plural).

I'm currently working on a book (or UPO, "unidentified publishing
object," to lift a phrase from Ken Wark) that aims to mount a ruthless
critique of data visualization, information design, and related
chicanery. This is an open project, part anthology/dossier/etc, so
suggestions, contributions, projects, interviews are warmly welcome.

Cheers,
Ted
---
Asst Prof Art Media + Tech