[iDC] Time Banks, Playgrounds, and Factories

Michael Bauwens michelsub2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 22 08:38:08 UTC 2009

Dear Jonah,

I think the important insight that travels from free software to money is this. Power lies in the code and in the invisible structures that enable or disenable actions and relationships, what Alexander Galloway calls 'protocolarry power'.

The great insight of the current age is that money has a code as well. But just as we do not have the power to change the code of microsoft, we do not have (yet) the power to change to code of political money, so the alternative world-constructing route is to peer produce our own, differently coded money.

This is why open money infrastructures are prominently configured on the Open Everything visualisation here at http://www.mindmeister.com/28717702/everything-open-and-free

The experience is that civil society communities are not coding one alternative, but multiple, just as we have different kinds of free software.

LETS and Time Banks work to a certain degree with smaller local communities, and do not seem to scale at this moment in time. One of the weaknesses of time banks, if I understand it correctly, that it only works for those willing to exchange their labor for equal value.

There are many exciting developments in this space, see http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Money, monitored here at http://del.icio.us/mbauwens/P2P-Money,

among those I recommend looking at are:

- the metacurrency project and its flowspace implementation: the first meta-platform for open money

- WIR and Jak Bank as successul credit commons and mutual credit clearing houses

- the Whuffie bank, which prefigures possible reputation and community work rewarding schemes

- the Open Source Hardware Central Bank of the Arduino open hardware community, which funds open hardware developments ...