[iDC] Introduction: Olli Sotamaa

Olli Sotamaa Olli.Sotamaa at uta.fi
Tue Sep 8 14:35:08 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Trebor Scholz asked me to write an introduction now that we’re getting
closer to the Internet as Playground and Factory conference.

My name is Olli Sotamaa and I've been lurking here for a few months and
thoroughly enjoyed many of the discussions. I’m based in Tampere,
Finland, and currently work as a senior research fellow at the
Department of Information Studies and Interactive Media. I have a
background in cultural studies and for the past few years now my
research focus has been on participatory and co-operative practices
between developers and players of digital games.

I’ve recently defended my phd that focuses on what I call “player
production”. In my phd work I argue that while game studies have so far
been pretty good in identifying the structural elements of game systems
and the different motivations of players, they have mostly not touched
the larger social structures and industrial systems that ultimately
shape both the games that are offered to players and the ways they are
played. Whilst we know quite a lot about how the rules can be used to
guide and constrict players activities, the “rules” that direct player
production are scarcely investigated. From there on I move on to
introduce multi-perspectival approaches that I argue can help us to
better understand the productive practices of players that result in new
game elements (e.g. game modifications) and the ones that exploit the
game software to produce entirely new digital objects (e.g. machinima).

You can find some of my articles from: http://www.uta.fi/~olli.sotamaa/
My dissertation is at: http://acta.uta.fi/english/teos.php?id=11176

Cheers,

Olli Sotamaa
Senior Research Fellow
Dep. of Information Studies and Interactive Media
University of Tampere