[iDC] Periodizing cinematic production2

Jonathan Beller jbeller at pratt.edu
Thu Sep 3 17:06:06 UTC 2009

Part 2 (Part 1 was posted yesterday and is below):

So, on the continuing relevance of cinematics: One of the key points,
I think, is that cinema brings the industrial revolution to the eye.
This claim, in certain respects, is an exaggeration since assembly-
line commodities were already visible and thus, contained within
themselves, as reifications, a visible iteration of assembly line
process that obviously had a visual and psychological impact. These
objects quickly saturated the  built environment -- Simmel is very
instructive here. However, more even than Eisenstein, who famously
stated that "a film is a tractor ploughing the audiences psyche," it
was Vertov who decoded the visible world, that is, the very structure
of industrial society such that it could be understood in its
component parts as process. His masterpiece, Man with a Movie Camera,
aspires to at once occupy and record the entire surface of the socius
such that its inner manufacturing logic is visible, that is, legible.
It also posits cinema as the culmination of the industrial revolution
in as much as it alone is capable of registering the material
complexity of global production and its social relations.
Additionally, the verisimilitude of the "factory of facts," as Vertov
called his cinema, allowed the producer to be an author in as much as
workers' labor was no longer fully subsumed in the objectified product
but legible as a corporeal-subjective creation that left an
intelligible historical trace in the film-object. Thus cinema, for
Vertov, meant the humanization of the senses and of the objective
world. Cinema  is the result of the history of human creativity (the
sedimentation of labor) that allows for the prosthetic extension of
the "biological" senses, such that reification can be overcome,
literally seen through, and human sociality can be visible in the
objective (objectified) world.

That of course was the upside of cinema, the utopian dimensions of a
new kind of object. The downside was that the apparatus could "lead to
the processing of data in the fascist sense," as Benjamin put it,
giving the masses "not the right, but the chance to represent
themselves." This of course, was an illusion to celebrity culture and
the star system, which creates its icons by virtue of the non-
representation of everyone else. To identify with the celebrity one
must embrace one's own non-existence. The film-object as a commodity
depended upon the same totality of relations that Vertov had decoded
(the sum total of the history of technology, as well as the daily
activities of human beings to make and remake the world), and yet it
produced not community but Debordian separation -- like the commodity
itself, the celebrity produced its objective value through the
subsumption of its producer and the annihilation of the history of its
production: in this case, the wholesale labor and existence of the
masses, those of us who are excluded from the spectacle but
nonetheless provide the energy and context for its burn.

While this leveraged relation of what appears (what appears in the
spectacle is good, what is good appears -- as I think Debord said) is
of tremendous importance, I want to pause for just a moment, to
emphasize my first point about cinema bringing the industrial
revolution to the eye. Even though I am making certain arguments here
in abridged and necessarily simplified form we can see that in the
bigger picture cinema, which was a development of photography, was the
technology that inaugurated the large scale assault on the visual.
Whether as decodification/truth-making (Vertov's kino-pravda) or as
recodification/mythmaking, the really significant feature here is that
the visual was at a crossroads and indeed became the new arena for the
battle over consciousness (Not just Eisenstein and Vertov, but Stalin,
Hitler, Hollywood... Gates). It was this sea-change in cultural
production, a consequence it must be noted of techno-capitalist
production, that in my view inaugurated a fundamental retrenchment of
the sensorium and indeed a transformation in the character of
consciousness itself. There is ample evidence for this: modernism(s)
for one, psychoanalysis for another -- and of course, the increasing
market for visual production, the history of advertising, etc. The
disappearance of traditional society now included not just forms of
life but forms of mental life. As I think I said in the CMP, all that
is solid melts into film. Indeed in my own view, this penetration of
the life world by visual technologies is so far-reaching that one
could plot out revisions of aesthetic and intellectual history (to say
nothing of economic history) based upon an index of its increase. It
is this continuity -- the vertiginous development of visuality -- that
at once achieves and follows upon a fundamental rupture with the reign
of the signifier, that lead me to some of those abrupt and perhaps
shocking statements in which the industrialization of the visual (the
rise of visuality in its strong form) leads directly to post-
industrial society.

As I mentioned earlier, the cinema, marked the intensive development
of a certain aspect of the commodity, it's appearance. Vertov's cinema
attempted to combat the appearance of the commodified objective world
with decodification, but the majority of cinema was content to go with
the flow, that is, to cultivate and develop a fetishistic relation
with the spectator that quite literally short-circuited the rational
processes that were the conditions of possibility for the appearance
of the image. This short-circuiting of rationality and language
function turns out to be a distinguishing feature of capitalist
visuality. This is not to say that the deployment of images was/is not
undertaken rationally or with carefully reasoned intentions (I call
this the calculus of the image), it is just a recognition that as an
interface, the image operates on levels that are profoundly
unconscious -- hence the development of new forms of desire, of
"theater of the mind," etc.-- even if they can deliver statistically
predictable results.

What's more, and here I will only allude to a larger argument, it is
arguable that the penetration of the life-world by the visual, is
indeed the social phenomenon that instantiates the modern unconscious.
It was precisely the short-circuiting of language function (the
Freudian slip, for example) that occasioned the emergence of the
unconscious through the structure of the gap. There is a long history
of analysis regarding the challenges that images pose to rational-
linguistic thought. What I ended up arguing in the CMP was that at the
basis of the ostensibly natural form that was said to be the human
psyche was this history of technology -- in other words, that the
unconscious of the unconscious was cinema.

All of which is to say that the new perceptual pyrotechnics of the
commodity, its ability (along with audio-recording) to overcome "the
bottleneck of the signifier" (as Kittler brilliantlly puts it) by
creating data streams on non-linguistic band-withs, radically
transforms subjectivity, and with it all forms of knowledge that
depended upon that subject-form. It is for this reason that we can
trace postmodern constructions of intensity, affect, structure of
feeling, etc. to this techno-material transformation. They are the
result of the entry of what we have been calling technology into the
very fabric of our being, such that we are indistinguishable from our
machines. For me, it was the opening of the sensual pathways to
vectors of industrial scale that made this transformation complete.

Additionally, and perhaps most importantly for the purposes of our
upcoming conference, these fundamental shifts in the machine-body
interface that are inaugurated by the cinema and intensively developed
by legacy screen technologies, fundamentally transform not only labor
processes but the value-form itself. There are many on this list-serve
who also work on this transformation, but one of the problems we seem
to be facing is a new level of instability in the general form of
social wealth, which during the first four hundred years of
capitalism, could reliably be thought to be money. I have always
maintained (to the distaste of film studies folks, cinephiles, and
(some) marxists alike) that spectators engage in value-productive
labor in the cinema. The interface with the screen (in which
spectators assemble the pieces, and today, "write" their own content)
does not simply resemble a deterritorialized factory but in fact is.
Furthermore I have maintained that, following what I call the
attention theory of value, spectators simultaneously valorize media
pathways and modify themselves -- both of which are value-productive
activities that Marx and then Negri/Hardt/Virno would recognize as
social cooperation. The real subsumption of society by capital means
that relations that were once outside of or marginal to the process of
economic valuation have become internal and/or central to it (the
intersubjective, visual, imaginative and cognitive). This situation,
which in my view we don't get to without cinema, implies that their
are many more mediations in the process of valuation than in a prior
historical moment -- monetization, as it is now called, is today a
more complex affair than ever before. Additionally, people are willing
to work for forms of compensation they themselves may not be able to
directly monetize even if they are able to spend them-- think style,
for example, or cache. That does not mean in any way (despite what
some may claim) that such intermediate forms are outside of the
capitalist system or that capital is necessarily on the wane, only
that we are at a crisis point that once again will require a
revolutionizing of the means of production because the former means of
production (which includes not just technologies, demographics, and
representations, but people's mind-sets) have become a hinderance.

We would not want to miss out here in the fact that such crises are
also opportunities. The current instability of the capitalist system
has been manifest, but where was/is the Marxist alternative?
Personally I was deeply disappointed in my own/our degree of
preparedness during the financial bailout. For a moment capitalism was
threatening to off itself, to crumble under the weight of its own
contradictions, contradictions that no amount of imaginary inflation
could any longer sustain. And yet our imaginations have been so
throughly colonized that the best the collectivity could come up with
was to mortgage our own future in order to preserve the fundamental
hierarchies amenable to bankers, hierarchies that sustain themselves
through the ruthless exploitation of this, "our," planet.

This real failure on the part of the people, the masses, the
multitudes, this world-historical failure, is a question not only for
economists, but for cultural theorists, social justice activists, and
all of us who would have the audacity to speculate against capitalist
speculators. I know from my own experience that film studies people
think that these kinds of cinematic questions are way beyond the
purview of the field. Even though I have gone home without a job on
too many unpleasant occasions to recall, I find myself guided by the
now old adage that if you are not part of the solution you are part of
the problem. Probably there is a little bit of both (being the
problem, being the solution) in most of us, but it up to us (you know
who you are, in a speculative sort of way) to shift the ratios in a
progressive direction on every occasion at every level. Because if for
the foreseeable future labor and value are everywhen and everywhere,
so too is struggle. And it is with struggle in mind that we should
make our tools.

Jonathan Beller
Professor
Humanities and Media Studies