[iDC] A primer on the Attention (Centered) Economy

Joe Edelman joe.edelman at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 04:27:51 UTC 2009

I think I have a note that might help this debate go a little smoother:

Many of us--whether we are professors, architects, artists, or
software developers--recognize that we are in the practice of creating
or shaping relationships between humans.  We create systems of rules
or instructions or spaces which present certain opportunities to the
people who find themselves under our influence.  And these spaces can
facilitate new kinds of relationships or interactions among strangers
or among friends.

Just like someone who hangs mistle-toe underneath a bridge in hopes of
creating a space for lovers to kiss, so do all of us use computer code
or text or art or the classroom to point towards new ways for people,
often strangers, to relate.

A lot of this is about creating intimacy, or connection, or
opportunities for one person to support another person, by helping
them think, by helping them with physical work, by sharing some
convivial or supportive time, or by meeting needs directly in the
interaction.

One thing that's exciting about the internet, is that it can scale
these processes.  A website I was lucky to help develop--
CouchSurfing.com--connects (directly, in-person) more than 300
strangers every hour, 24 hours a day, and 7 days a week.  [http://couchsurfing.com/mission_stats
]

Since most of our needs are relational, and all are satisfied or not
satisfied in relation to others, this act of creating intimacy--
whether it occurs in a classroom, under a bridge, or via the web--has
tremendous economic impact.  And when to a degree we can meet our
needs directly with the people with whom we are already intimate,
there is usually no need to participate in the mediating market
mechanisms that many on this list see as problematic.

Let us then agree then to respect each of our attempts, whether in the
classroom or on the net, to create these intimacies.

--
J.E. // nxhx.org // 413.570.0001