[iDC] Introduction

Kristian Lukic krist at napon.org
Wed Oct 14 21:29:11 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Trebor kindly asked me to introduce myself on the list, although Im
following and lurking for a several years now,

Im writer, curator, artist, curently working as curator in Museum of
Contemporary Art in Novi Sad, Serbia and also active in Institute for
Flexible Cultures and Technologies - Napon. Before I was working in New
Media Center kuda.org in Novi Sad as program manager (still
collaborating on some projects...).

The topic of the conference is quite close to something what I was
involved recent years. To the  play/work/leisure I came mostly through
computer games (was and still active in Eastwood group, playing with
laws and natures of computer games...) and MMO worlds which is most
obvious relation between play and work.

Also in 2007 in Novi Sad, Serbia we organized exhibition and conference
called Play Cultures in 2007, and also exhibition and conference in
2008, Territories & Resources (about play/work connection in web 2.0 and
social networks).

www.napon.org

Currently Im finishing MA thesis at Theory of Art and Media at Belgrade
University of Arts (before that finished MA Art History at the same
University)
 under the name "Commodified Play" which is mixture of lectures under
the same name that I had from 2006 on several conferences and events.

In 2007 together with Stealth group from Rotterdam we did a one semester
course at Piet Zwart Media Design postgradute students, that was about
MMO and virtual worlds called "meta.life", and one workshop about the
same topic in Laboral centre for arts in Gijon in Spain.

Im mostly interested in conepts of play as free activity definied by
Huizinga and Callois and today's problems with these definitions. Also
how play is becoming more and more commodified human activity, the
concept of agon apears to be "ruling" play element, especially in the
notion of Virno's Negation and Inovation and what Pasquinelli describe
as Immaterial Civil War. In young animals, play is mostly preparation
for survival, learning how to efficiently defend themselves or how to
efficiently attack prey. Its interesting for example how game industry
is counting on specifically this element / pure agon. Here is useful to
realize concept of animal spirits that Virno and Pasqunelli are
reffering too, where they regard inovation and culture as the constant
battle, (or Immaterial civil war) and prolongation of animal nature in
human. In that sense culture is not something opposite to "animal
spirit" but rather continuation or even amplification of animal nature
in humans. Situationists for examply clearly located problem of
competition aspect in play.

On the pure practical level its good to remind us how remote warfare is
becoming crucial in contemporary warfare (Reapers / Predators), and how
skilled youngsters with excellent reflexes in game playing (150-200
operations in minute) are becoming major task force in remote combats.
This activity is for sure blurred area between play and work, but it
interesting how its connected to massive training and recruitment of
youth throughout world (Currently 46 countries in the world are
developing remote warfare). Maybe It is quite time to analyze connection
between children/youth and militarism, the last connection on such a
scale was youth organization Ballila in Musolini's Italy, and its
infamous follower Hitlerjugend...

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/07/23/wus.warfare.pilots.uav/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

although I will probably physically not attend conference its great to
follow  discussion on IDC list and I'm looking forward to see the
outcomes of the conference!

many greetings,
Kristian Lukic