[iDC] sentiment geeks and the social graph

Jonathan Beller jbeller at pratt.edu
Wed Oct 14 14:15:10 UTC 2009

want to express my enthusiasm about this post (below) and throw in my
own 20 cents worth (adjusted for inflation). Mark's approach,
culminating with the citation of Clough addresses precisely the
problem of strict adherence to the dialectical categories instantiated
by Marx. I am thinking here of the astute analysis by Christian Fuch's
of that weird farm game, in which he suggests that if one buys the
game then what is done is not productive labor because it does not
produce surplus value, but if one plays it on a multi-user platform
such as facebook (whose value is directly tied to various methods of
statistical compilation for the accounting of user attention) than it
would be. While it is clarifying to see Marxian categories so neatly
and deftly applied, it also reveals something about the obsolescence
of the categories (at least as they appear in Marx), precisely because
it would seem that it is in the gray areas and the informal sectors
that we can track the far reaching changes that are upon us. We should
recall here that while Marx is the master theorist of the medium of
money, he was never able to solve the problem of the medium of the
road (Was building the road productive or unproductive labor, was it
the work of valets or of the proletariat?). In my own view, what is
revealed by this distinction between productive and non-productive
labor generated by the rigorous application of the categories to
gaming in the manner in which Marx might have done it in 1860's is not
the correctness of the distinction but the need for updating the form
of the categories. Ditto for the humans and animals discussion with
Margaret Morse in which a hard line was drawn by Christian between
those two categories -- categories which after all evolved in the
dialectical development of each set's purported members and which
therefore each mutually presuppose one another, are inseparable, and
contain the one within the other. Recognizing that (the
deconstructability of the binary), the question becomes what is at
stake (historically and politically speaking) in maintaining the
distinction. One could ask the same thing about productive and non-
productive labor.

For Christian, it seems to me, the stake in the latter categories, is
nothing less than Marxism, and for this investment in the struggle for
the identification of exploitation I am full of respect and
solidarity. As I have intimated in other posts on this list-serve,
this question about the new and hidden forms of productivity is one of
the most important questions of our era. And it would seem that unless
you could say what was productive and unproductive labor you could not
properly say what was capitalist exploitation. And if you cannot
identify exploitation, then you cannot localize it nor can you
effectively challenge it. For what it's worth, I actually agree with
much of this line of thinking: if there is no more exploitation than
there is no more Marxism.

It is here, on the question of expropriation, that I think that Mark's
post is particularly illuminating, as well as Clough's suppositions
about a "a probablisitc, statistical background which provides an
infra-empirical or infra-temporal sociality, the subject of which is,
I want to propose, the population, technologically or methodologically
open to the modulation of its affective capacities." (I think Morse's
consideration of erotics may also be very significant here, but I
would have to know more than I do about what she has in mind.) What is
implied by these approaches is the far -reaching break up of the units
of account: the subject of exchange, the object as commodity, the
spatio-temporal framework (chronotope) of the exchange with capital.
This breakup of the very entities coalesced in and as the categories
of a prior century's political economy was already implicit in the
idea of the deterritorialized factory and the attention theory of
value that I used to describe the deep political economy of cinema and
television, as well as in the Italian's version of the social factory,
their development of Marx's idea of social cooperation, and the
current work on the general intellect and cognitive capitalism. It
seems to me that the digital explosion (really not possible in its
current form without the NASDAQing of silicon valley) has been a long-
term effort to harness these emergent energies that are simultaneosly
revolutionizing the productive forces and transforming the form of
value -- dominant digitality is sturctured by an effort to create the
algorithms that would formalize (and thus monetize) all of the
energies being expended in informal economies (cinephilia,  fandom,
gender performativity, fetishism, etc., in short, affect).
Retrospectively we can see that celebrities and charismatic dictators
were programs, software running on the social machinery, created by
the labor of human attention as the concrete expression of individual
and mass desire. Like the roads before them, these social forms were
products --pathways -- necessary for the preservation and
intensification of corporate profiteering. Same for the pyrotechnics
of commodities -- Baudrillard's category of candy fascism to describe
the allure of the omnipresent commodity is pertinent here. What you
have today is engines of expropriation functioning through formerly
informal channels of value -extraction (community, cooperation,
tradition, etc). These engines of expropriation and the media which
are their conditions of possibility give rise to the attention theory
of value, as well as the creation of new categories or moments for the
general form of social wealth (money) in the form of know how, cool,
pleasure, etc. The massive capital investment in digital culture is an
effort to formalize and thus monetize these social engines of creation
that extract attention and pay, dis-symmetrically, in social
currencies that emerged along with the masses during the long
twentieth century. Thus the platform is an algorithm of capture.

If one adhered to the old categories, or more precisely the old forms
of the distinction between productive and non-productive labor, one
could be tricked into thinking here that on the one hand we have labor
(workers going to factory, prosumers going to facebook) and on the
other hand we have psychology/erotics/play (our desires for Hitlers,
our admiration of Bill Gateses, our adventures in gameboys and books),
but this would be a mistake. Real subsumption means that all (most) of
the extra-economic categories now fall within political economy.
Therefore whether I work for facebook (as a "user) or simply valorize
a culture in which facebook is a viable platform by playing the kind
of game that others play there, I am a producer of facebook. I
valorize the media-environment. This claim is not really different
from saying that whether you voted for Bush or simply lived in the US
while he was a president (or for that matter if you still live in the
US now) you were a beneficiary of neo-imperialist wars and you abetted
the US ethno-nationalist white suprematist patriarchal project. I'm
not saying that if these conditions apply to "you,"  you chose to do
this, or that you are the (full) subject of this choice, but I am
saying that part of what you normally think of as you contributed to
it. Your very metabolism participated in murder. How to account for
that?

Right. So perhaps you can see that even though I am critical of
Christian Fuch's particular deployment of the political economic
categories in his post and in some of his other writings, I am also in
full agreement when he says, "The law of value does not, as claimed by
autonomous Marixsts, become unimportant today (Christian Fuchs, "A
Contribution to the Critique of the Political Economy of Transnational
Informational Capitalism," RETHINKING MARXISM VOLUME 21 NUMBER 3 (JULY
2009)). The question is, what are the emergent categories, or, more
exactly, the new mediations of the value form that continue to
contribute to the massive accumulation of capital and dispossession of
persons that is anything but discontinuous with prior eras of
capitalist violation. If anything has changed it is that the law and
value (the law of value?) has greater purchase on human creativity
than ever before. I am not being glib here, it would be a grave
mistake to assume that the law of value has been transcended or
rendered defunct. Rather,  I am endeavoring to telegraph (not tweet)
the hypothesis that the law of value has penetrated our corporeal
practices and our cognitive-linguistic practices: a situation which at
once renders them all suspect and also posits them as sites of
struggle. To aid us in organizing this struggle we might channel Lenin
and propose the following thesis:

Digitality, the highest stage of capitalism.

Jonathan Beller
Professor
Humanities and Media Studies
and Critical and Visual Studies