[iDC] identity, identity politics, and individualism

Sareeta B Amrute amrutes at u.washington.edu
Fri Oct 2 18:01:32 UTC 2009

Hi Michael,

I do appreciate disciplinary differences, however I think it is worthwhile to
create conceptual clarity around terms such as 'identity' and 'individualism'.
In this respect, we can trace out the ways in which identity politics has
emerged as a container for selfhood that may enable certain forms of political
action while constraining others.  The question agency seems to me to be tied up
with these historical-conceptual formations.  That is, rather than thinking
about a lack or surplus of agency, it might be more useful to think about kinds
of agency that can be marshaled by people in particular contexts.

Best,
Sareeta