[iDC] The difference between community and voices

Jean Burgess jean at creativitymachine.net
Thu Oct 1 06:40:43 UTC 2009

I should also note, the unevenness of participation you mention is a
consistent pattern across platforms, including mailing lists, blogs,
YouTube, Flickr, etc.; this is understood as a basic reality for the
developers of such platforms, and at least as far as I know it doesn't
appeared to have changed much, no matter what new thing comes along.

See Yahoo!'s Bradly Horowtiz on this issue a few years back, with handy
"pyramid of participation" graphic:
http://blog.elatable.com/2006/02/creators-synthesizers-and-consumers.html

"1% of the user population might start a group (or a thread within a group)
10% of the user population might participate actively, and actually author
content whether starting a thread or responding to a thread-in-progress
100% of the user population benefits from the activities of the above groups
(lurkers)"

In my own work I have tried not to replicate the value judgements implicit
here: where "productivity" is valued over the practices of "mere" audiences.

That said, it is a constant challenge to facilitate active engagement
("voice", if you will) from a broader range of participants with interest in
whatever the focus of the online community happens to be.

Maybe Facebook is the exception to the rule?

Best
Jean

--
Dr. Jean Burgess