[iDC] Alternatives to black-box page-rank algorithm (was conference summary part 2: the internet as playground and factory)

Alexander Halavais halavais at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 19:10:24 UTC 2009

I'm sorry to say I also missed Frank Pasquale's presentation...

The "security through obscurity" argument that drives the black boxing
of Google's algorithm doesn't eliminate "gaming" the system, it
professionalizes it. If the government requires Coke to give us some
indication of what goes into their products, isn't it fair to ask
something similar of those who are "organizing the world's
information"? There is a middle ground between fully disclosing the
algorithm and providing some indication of the policy choices that
have gone into its formation.

A robust public option seems to be the most interesting alternative
here. The (chiefly French & German) state effort in this direction
seems to be dead in the water. There are ways this might be done in a
distributed fashion, but not the collective will to do so yet. It will
take some much clearer outrages on the part of Google before that
changes...

- Alex