[iDC] Just Say Adorno

Ayhan ayhana at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 04:03:57 UTC 2009

Hi Martin,
My presentation was actually on the orientalist imaginations inscribed in
the conceptions of the human machine assemblages. I used a media
archaeological analysis to demonstrate the role of the oriental other in the
18th century automata that incorporated the mechanical animation of Muslim
bodies for mediation of the key philosophical discussions on Cartesian
mind/body duality. Within the long history of human workers kept hidden
behind the machines, or as specters that animated the industrial machine,
Amazon's utilization of Kempelen's Mechanical Turk automaton as its metaphor
for branding and the model for exploitation in the age of cognitive labor
looks like a corporate Turret syndrome.

The cultural as you suggested is not a mere superstructure but it is at the
center of the evolution of these technologies. Before the actualization of
many technologies we see the efforts of imaginations and conceptualizations
through various devices that act as the cultural apparatus for later
reconfigurations. 18th century automata was among such apparatus and many of
the notions we discuss today were explored through their proxies of that
time, the chess playing Turk being one of them. It was a safe proxy for
exploring the uncanny possibilities of the idea of autonomous machines.
Interestingly today, it is still relevant to such an extent that its vivid
image is almost transparent or outside of our field of vision as a factor in
our analysis of the alterity in the cognitive labor.
Thank you for bringing this issue up.  I also wanted to thank Trebor for
organizing this conference, it was a great experience for me and I learned a
lot.

Ayhan Aytes

Ph.D. Candidate
University of California San Diego