[iDC] Social Production and the Labor Theory of Value (2)

Michael Bauwens michelsub2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 18 21:44:08 UTC 2009

Dear Sean:

I really enjoyed your contributions in NY last weekend, thanks for that, very impressive command of the issues.

I would like to post two main reactions to what you say below.

The first is to the nature of resistance as you describe it below. While certainly a reality in some workplaces, it is very difficult, and also psychologically very self-destructive, to keep this up in many functional environments, in the context of knowledge work. Think of yourself as an academic, knowing that many jobs in corporations are now very similar, how would you sabotabe yourself and your research!!

For me, showing how the corporate/hierarchical structures are themselves responsible for sabotaging true productivity, is therefore ultimately also a very strong strategy, and I think that this is what many young knowledge workers are now doing ,i.e. outrunning, outcompeting corporate productivity.

The second remark is about resistance needing to be 'endlessly inventive'.

Of course we all must be creative, but I object, but perhaps misread, to attitudes that are obsessed with the enemy (this is why I did not like the Exploit for example). The approach you mention at the end, Manzini's SLOC, is the opposite, it relentlessly focuses on our own need for autonomy, continuously look for interstices, and relentlessly constructs more autonomous alternatives.

I think we should cease to feed the Beast with our own illusions of its strength, totality and infinite capacity of cooptation ... Since it feeds on us, cannot exist without us, we are in fact so much stronger, and in a sense, 'ignoring' it (in a smart way, not in a dumb way of course), takes away the energy we feed it with,

Michel