[iDC] Facebook v. Google

Christopher Kelty ckelty at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 17:14:54 UTC 2009

On the labor and commodification tip, there is an article in this month's
Wired on Facebook's plan to rule the world.

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/magazine/17-07/ff_facebookwall?currentPage=all

I posted a brief reflection here:

http://savageminds.org/2009/06/30/facebook-and-google-parochialize-your-intarnet/

My reaction, unfiltered, is "who cares whether we can make our own social
networks--what matters is whether we can make our own demography, i.e. our
own analytical tools that allow for control of the knowledge we produce via
such networks."   Comparing Google and Facebook in this respect is
apposite.  Both are evil in their own ways, but as Neitzsche might say,
"beyond good and evil--this at least does not mean beyond good and bad."

ck