[iDC] Michael Jackson and the death of macrofame

Armin B. Wagner arminbw at mail.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jun 29 13:17:48 UTC 2009

Am 28.06.2009 um 03:36 schrieb Mechthild Schmidt:

> I made the comment in reference to the notion of play  as (quote
> Davin:) "distinct from "ordinary life" (Huizinga), and that it
> constitutes an "occasion of pure waste" (Caillois)"
> ... as not pure waste but quite opposite: an ideal state of mind to
> achieve in the balance of ratio and emotion
> in their search for truth, beauty, art  (in context of Schiller's
> admiration for Ancient Greek culture);
> such 'play'  as an artist lost in their work, a writer, a
> philosopher - different from 'play' as in gambling (Glücksspiel).

I tried to highlight this distinction. But those two views aren't
thought to be entirely incommensurable as Schiller describes a
potential of progression. To exaggerate today's mashup of play
appraisal:
Play constitutes a (more or less) protected space, in which the
testing of new rule sets is possible, fostering spontaneity,
improvisation, learning, creation, innovation, change, etc. Play is
free. Play connects feelings (fun) with actions. Play is important.
Play is adventurous and beautiful. Play leads to improvements. Play is
awesome. Artists are players. Hackers are players. Philosophers are
players.
 From outside the magic circle, where play has been hardened into
rituals and institutions, all of it may look like waste. But why not
widen the circle? Shouldn't we strive for a society of Play? And isn't
this what the futuristic digital culture of participation is all about?

According to Herbert Spencer's "Principles of Psychology" all we had
to do was create a "surplus of energy":

"Many years ago I met with a quotation from a German author to the
effect that the aesthetic sentiments originate from the play-impulse.
I do not remember the name of the author; and if any reasons were
given for the statement or any inference drawn from it, I cannot
recall them. But the statement has remained with me, as being one
which if not literally true, is yet the adumbration of a truth"

"[...] the aesthetic activities in general may be expected to play an
increasing part in human life as evolution advances. Greater
economization of energy, resulting from superiority of organization,
will have in the future effects like those it has had in
the past. The order of activities to which the aesthetic belong,
having been already initiated by this economization, will hereafter be
extended by it : the economization being achieved both directly
through the improvement of the human structure itself, and indirectly
through the improvement of all appliances, mechanical, social, and
other. A growing surplus of energy will bring a growing proportion of
the aesthetic activities and gratifications ; and while the forms of
art will be such as yield pleasurable exercise to the simpler
faculties, they will in a greater degree than now appeal to the higher
emotions. "

Even Spencer's critic Paul Lafargue agreed on this point, while
rooting it back to Aristotle. Confronted with the "Taylorization of
leisure" it's an awkward old chant:

"And nevertheless the genius of the great philosophers of capitalism
remains dominated by the prejudice of the wage system, worst of
slaveries. They do not yet understand that the machine is the saviour
of humanity, the god who shall redeem man from the sordidae artes and
from working for hire, the god who shall give him leisure and liberty."

http://www.marxists.org/archive/lafargue/1883/lazy/appendix.htm