[iDC] Michael Jackson and the death of macrofame

Mechthild Schmidt mschmidt at nyc.rr.com
Sun Jun 28 01:36:10 UTC 2009

Armin,

I made the comment in reference to the notion of play  as (quote
Davin:) "distinct from "ordinary life" (Huizinga), and that it
constitutes an "occasion of pure waste" (Caillois)"

... as not pure waste but quite opposite: an ideal state of mind to
achieve in the balance of ratio and emotion
  in their search for truth, beauty, art  (in context of Schiller's
admiration for Ancient Greek culture);
such 'play'  as an artist lost in their work, a writer, a philosopher
- different from 'play' as in gambling (Glücksspiel).

Best,

Mechthild Schmidt