[iDC] "The first rule of data centers is...

Brian Holmes brian.holmes at aliceadsl.fr
Sat Jun 27 17:19:27 UTC 2009

Jonathan Beller wrote:

 > As Mark says, "the server farms might better be described
as server
 > "factories" -- spaces where the productive aspect of
monitoring is
 > separated out from the range of monitored activities. The
fact that
 > these spaces are private, commercial ones, is neither
natural nor
 > necessary, but is the legacy of historical forms of
enclosure -- the
 > continuation of enclosure as a form of separation (of
users from their
 > date, data producers from the means of data processsing),
what Massimo
 > De Angelis has described as a process of continuous
enclosure."
  (...)
 > As far as I am concerned, this statement also answers one
of the major
 > methodological questions pre-occupying this list serve --
the one that
 > would focus solely on the specific case-studies and would
do so in an
 > effort to imply that there are certain non-exploitative
forms of
 > interactivity. For the moment it seems that progress is
not foreclosed,
 > certainly, not all agency or organizational practices are
the same -- by
 > no means-- but it seems to me that none are entitled to a
free pass,
 > none of us are going to get off the hook so easily.

Thanks, Mark and Jonathan, for your remarks which together
made a very welcome read for me. Indeed, none of us are
going to get off the hook so easily, because we are all
involved in a society which exalts predatory relations
("healthy competition") and simultaneously tries to mask
them as the realization of human potential ("creativity,"
"excellence," etc.).

Throughout this decade, as mega-gentrification transformed
cities for the exclusive use of those with access to the
wealth-effects of financial capital, it was obvious that the
so-called creative industries were one of the masked faces
of the predatory principle, either offering artists and
other cultural producers the chance to be deluded into
thinking they too could take a share of profit, or
explaining that private-public partnerships would now
provide the opportunity of wonderful cultural interaction to
everyone for free. For example, according to Jean Burgess in
a recent post here, YouTube would provide "a more effective
vehicle for the popular memorialisation of television,"
essentially allowing people to freely construct monuments to
their own servitude! Now that the extent of the Ponzi
schemes and the insider trading has been revealed, why
should one trust the creativity consultants or any of the
characteristic forms of governance that emerged from the
late 1990s onward, or indeed, from the early 1980s onward,
when neoliberalism began?

To be sure, the continuing eagerness to believe in such
things is largely explained by the self-interest of the
believers. But it poses a real problem, the fundamental
problem of our time: How to help generate a political
consciousness -- a "class consciousness," to bring up the
terms of a previous discussion -- that can resist the
interlocking structures of ideology and self-interest that
have paralyzed the capitalist democracies and kept all of us
locked into a mode of development that is clearly a dead end?

It seems to me that a contemporary reply to Marx's program
of class consciousness is the highest challenge to which one
can aspire, and the real reason for living as an engaged
intellectual. To take Christian's approach and to define a
class in itself, as an object of exploitation, will produce
some necessary knowledge of the processes whereby we are all
conducted to an increasingly predictable disaster; but from
my view it does not even make sense to carry out that kind
of work without any political horizon, without any address
to potential agents of transformation. I understand how Sean
  can be led by the panorama of contemporary social reality
to Heidegger's sad old idea of humanity as a standing
reserve; but it's still a sad old idea, and the chances of
our fellow men and women effecting a metaphysical purge of
3,000 years of Western ideas, as Heidegger demands, are
pretty slim. More promising to my eyes are the chances that
large numbers of people will resist the cultural enclosure,
immiseration, food poisoning, police repression, war and
ecological collapse that are now the visible signposts on
"the road ahead" of informational capitalism. For many
years, leftist intellectuals in the Anglo-Saxon countries
have been totally isolated by the rising credit-fuelled
prosperity of the middle classes, which continually opened
up spaces of professional neutralization for all but the
most committed and the most alienated fringes of those who
managed to get some kind of education. Now the situation is
somewhat different, as the pillage of the economy by the
predatory corporate state, in Britain no less than the USA
(and I wonder about Australia?), is such that current
generations are actually waking up to some degree, even as
the prospect of continuing sinecures for radical thought in
the university system goes down. Isn't now the time to begin
developing research strategies that include a specific kind
of address, one that can elicit some socially cooperative
response to the failures of the Anglo-American political
economy of the last 30 years?

I wonder, Mark, if this is a concern for you. Your recent
book strikes me as among the best in the domain of
surveillance studies, because instead of engaging in the
usual liberal "yes, there is some abuse, but you've got to
understand the reasons, the justifications, the necessities,
etc.," you instead home right in on the multiple and
converging trends toward the objectification of populations
through the data-mining and analysis of the vast quantities
of informatic traces that we now leave everywhere on our
journey through life (and not only through our heavily
fetishized uses of the Web). At the end of the book iSpy (I
always read the end first) you do not just make the usual
rhetorical appeal to reform, but you lay out a minimal
program for the achievement of democratic interactivity.
Good enough, but do you think it is good enough? Could you
imagine developing a different research strategy that would
retain the gains of critical paranoia -- the only approach,
imho, that allows one to begin perceiving the contours of
reality -- but not generate the dismal feeling of no exit
which, at this point in the game, tends increasingly to
reinforce the post-political paralysis of the consumed
societies?

I have a similar question for Jonathan, whose book The
Cinematic Mode of Production is probably the most original
work of Marxist aesthetics to be written in America since
Jameson's The Postmodern Condition. To convince yourselves
of that, just read the introduction that Jonathan sent in
his second post. The chapter on Vertov is extremely
inspiring, showing the Soviet filmmaker's attempt to render
the industrial production process conscious and available
for both critique and informed participation by the entire
population that partakes in it. Someone with a knowledge of
both global logistical processes and radical net culture
over the last twenty years could write a companion essay and
then we would at last have the feeling of living with open
eyes and beating hearts in the present! Of course, most of
the book is devoted instead to the zombie condition imposed
on people by a cinematic mode of consciousness that does
everything to obscure its own (and therefore, our own)
conditions of production. You write, with reference to
Adorno and the Frankfurt School, "Thus far, only the
negative dialectic allows us to think the political economy
of the visual and hence the paradigm of a global dominant.
Negation, however, has very serious limits that ultimately
may include it as among the psychopathological strategies
modulated by Hollywood." Have you gotten further toward a
mode of articulation that can open up some resistant
activity _inside the belly of the whale_, which may not be
where we belong but is certainly where we are today?

all the best, Brian