[iDC] Fwd: 21st Century

matthew stadler businessofutopia at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 13:42:53 UTC 2009

Saul, here's one.

The Paris-based collective
castillo/corrales<http://www.castillocorrales.fr/galerie/apropos.html>,
working as Section 7
books<http://www.castillocorrales.fr/section7/section7.html>,
has organized several forums to discuss publication, in the course of which
some theoretical frameworks have been developed. One is the following
definition, which I proposed last Fall when Section 7 convened a 3-day
colloquium<http://www.castillocorrales.fr/galerie/index.php/2009/01/22/26-un-mouvement-agreable-dans-les-idees>on
publishing and distribution (at Montehermoso in Vitoria, Spain).

"Publication is not the production of books but the production of a public
for whom those books have meaning. There is no pre-existing public. The
public is created through deliberate, willful acts: the circulation of
texts, discussions and gatherings in physical space, and the maintenance of
a related digital commons. These construct a common space of conversation, a
public space, which beckons a public into being. This is publication in its
fullest sense." (podcast of that session here <http://suddenly.org/?p=683>.)

This Fall, Montehermoso is publishing texts that emerged from that gathering
as UN AGREABLE MOUVEMENT DANS LES IDEES, with contrinutions from Section 7,
Kim West, Melanie Gilligan, Will Holder, and Peio Aguirre.

Though Section 7 and castillo/corrales have mostly produced actions
(improvising a bookstore, selling art, making art) the writing of core group
members François Piron and Boris Gobile might also be relevant here.

Matthew Stadler