[iDC] labor etc

Richard Maxwell rmax at nyc.rr.com
Thu Jun 25 18:57:25 UTC 2009

Hi all

Rick Maxwell here. I'm working on environmental impact of media
technologies, including the workplace hazards associated with
electronics production, use, and disposal/recycling--ie., digital
play/labor is not a post-industrial endeavor; it has toxic roots, and
theories on labor/fun/affective economies, etc must think through
what  that means. I've also written about labor in the global film
and media business with Toby Miller (using the concept of the New
International Division of Cultural Labor to talk about creative
economies/labor markets from a political economic perspective).

Anyway, following up on recent posts I wanted to add another aspect
of political economy that deserves more attention in our discussions
of the military-industry-politics complex--namely, spectrum
allocation and control. Check out http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/
osmhome.html where you can download the Federal Strategic Spectrum
Plan (March 2008). Not that fun to read, but you get the idea.

Also, and definitely more fun, I wanted to pitch Daniel Suarez's
novel, Daemon. If you haven't read it already, it depicts some
thought-provoking scenarios of game playing in a near-futuristic
division of labor that resonates with much of the recent
correspondence here in the idc space. .

http://www.thedaemon.com/

best
rm

PS: enjoying David Golumbia's book a lot--thanks for writing it!

Richard Maxwell                               Tel: 718-997-2950
Chair and Professor
Media Studies Department
Queens College-CUNY                                  http://
qcpages.qc.edu/mediastudies/