[iDC] Fetish and Trauma: Jodi Dean’s "Communicative Capitalism"

Brian Holmes brian.holmes at aliceadsl.fr
Wed Jun 24 20:35:26 UTC 2009

Jodi Dean wrote:
 > ...there are
 > some additional theoretical points that I think are
 > important (but may not have played much of a role in the
 > pieces you discuss here)--the basic one is Zizek's:
 > decline of symbolic efficiency; it refers to the way
 > signification doesn't scale, how meaning is fragile and
 > unstable, how people speak the same language but
 > don't.

Jodi, after looking very closely at one of your texts, I
tried to do something similar with another one ("Enjoying
Neoliberalism") and found myself taken further and further
afield as I sought to understand the roots of this discourse
on the decline of symbolic efficiency. Doesn't it originally
come from Levi-Strauss? Finally, what seems most incisive in
everything I've read are two quotations from the text you
originally sent in your introduction, The Real Internet:

"The Real of the internet is the circulatory movement of
drive — the repeated making, uploading, sampling, the
constant pulverization that occurs as movement on the
internet doubles itself, becoming itself and its record or
trace — effected by symbolic efficiency as loss. The
movement from link to link, the forwarding and storing and
commenting, the contributing without expectation of response
but in hope of further movement (why else count page views?)
is circulation for its own sake. Drive’s circulation forms a
loop. The empty space within it, then, is not the result of
the loss of something that was there before and now is
missing. The drive of the internet is not around the missing
Master signifier (which is foreclosed rather than missing).
Instead, it is the inside of the loop, the space of nothing
that the loop makes appear. Indeed, this endless loop that
persists for its own sake is the difference that makes a
difference between so-called old and new media. Old media
sought to deliver messages. New media just circulates....

"Although the discussion of drive here draws heavily from
Zizek, there is a crucial point of difference. Zizek
emphasizes that the “stuckness” of drive (what I’ve been
treating as capture) is the intrusion of radical break or
imbalance: “drive is quite literally the very ‘drive’ to
break the All of continuity in which we are embedded, to
introduce a radical imbalance into it.” My argument is that
communicative capitalism is a formation that relies on this
imbalance, on the repeated suspension of narratives,
patterns, identities, norms, etc. Under conditions of the
decline of symbolic efficiency, drive is not an act; it does
not break out of a set of given expectations because such
sets no longer persist as coherent enchainments of meaning.
On the contrary, the circulation of drive is functional for
the prevention of such enchainments, enchainments that might
well enable radical political opposition. The contemporary
challenge, then, is producing the conditions of possibility
for breaking out of or redirecting the loop of drive."

The problem that I have with the endless cataloging of
symptoms that characterizes, not only the typical Zizek text
but also so much of critical left discourse in America, is
exactly this circulatory character that neither loops the
loop, achieving anything conclusive -- that is, defining
anything one is really against -- nor escapes the litany of
symptoms in order to formulate a positive project that could
be acted upon. In your texts you give structural
formulations of this trap, some of which are
psychoanalytically penetrating, as in the text "Enjoying
Neoliberalism"
(http://jdeanicite.typepad.com/i_cite/files/neoliberal_fantasy_article.pdf).

What I like about your work is that it tries to be
relatively concise and clear, showing how a structuring
relation in society -- like the one between hyperconsumptive
ecstasy and monstrous criminality -- is embodied in specific
figures and patterns of circulation. What I have not yet
found, however, are substantial discussions of "the
conditions of possibility for breaking out of or redirecting
the loop of the drive." Doesn't that become the most
important thing at a certain point?

Years ago, when I wanted to understand how so many cultural
traits of the rebellious sixties had become integrated to
the managerial strategies of the contemporary capitalist
economy, I developed the figure of "The Flexible
Personality." The original subtitle was "Breaking the
Cybernetic Circles." After that, rather than making the
essay into a book as some people advised me to do, I went
deeper into political activism and tried to interpret or
participate in singular versions of an aesthetic practice of
dis-identification, leading to creation of
project-identities or temporary collectives. I think there
is, indeed, a "jouissance" of activism, which is no doubt
irrational but also liberating because it displaces the
circuits, breaks the endless "hunting pattern" of a
homeostatic system imbalanced by its human operator, and
finds a ground which has been strategically chosen: the
ground of a political conflict in a particular place with
particular people around particular issues. These
experiments are also subjectively very interesting, because
they leave you with an ability to focus your passion in a
certain way, rather than being carried infinitely along to
the next objects of painful enjoyment offered in the various
media.

The traces of my participation in those kinds of experiments
form a book of essays, Unleashing the Collective Phantoms.
Now, that's all well and good, but the question why such
activities do not "scale up" is a real one. What do you
think about it? Where do you look for transformatory
strategies that redirect the loop of the drive? What are the
politically progressive ways of shaping subjectivities that
do not just get lost in the shadow-plays of declining
symbolic efficiency? I imagine you have written on this, so
feel free to simply point to work you have already done.

all the best, Brian