[iDC] Late Introduction

Alf Rehn alfrehn at me.com
Tue Jun 23 06:40:34 UTC 2009

Hello to everyone,

I'm a longtime lurker on this list and now finally prompted to
introduce myself by the last flurry of communiques.

My name is Alf Rehn (www.alfrehn.com/academic/), and I guess I
represent an odd minority on this list as I'm a full-fledged member of
that most despicable of academic tribes, the business school
professors. For my sins (which are many and varied), I got a Chair in
Management and Organization at a Finnish place called Åbo Akademi
University at the tender age of 31, and have still not recovered
entirely from the shock. Oh, and before you ask, no, we do not have a
Chair in Polar Studies, and no, it's not at all like Mongolia. Alas,
we do not all use Nokias either - I rock an iPhone as every other sane
person. Moving on, I've also while on leave of absence done a turn as
a Professor of Innovation and Entrepreneurship at the Royal Institute
of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden (and yes, they are all blonde and
look vaguely like ABBA), as well as sullied myself thoroughly by
working as a speaker and a consultant, working from that fine line of
theological thinking which decrees that immersion in sins is an
efficient way to a fuller understanding of the human condition.

My research has mainly focused on things that freaks out my
colleagues. A more standardized version of this claim would be to say
that I research moralization and ideology in the constitution of
economic thinking, something that has led me to a varied number of
research subjects. My doctoral dissertation was on internet piracy
(warez) as a gift economy, something that was seen as a rather odd
line of argument at the time (2001) but which seems to have gone quite
mainstream. After this, I did some work on innovation and
entrepreneurship in unusual areas (the Soviet Union, haute cuisine,
children's culture and popular culture), as well as some pretty odd
conceptual stuff (am in all likelihood the only professor of
management who has published (separate) work on both cannibals,
zombies, superheroes and Ethel Merman). Oh, and wrote some bits on
power and why management theory is an meta-ideological system as well.

Currently working on a book that draws on fan-work and mixing
cultures, as well as ongoing work in creativity (mainly critiques of
the milquetoast approaches towards it that seem to be so popular).
Overall, my project seems to be to smuggle in somewhat more radical
notions of collaborative work, ideological critique and issues of
control in late modernism into corporate life. And having fun doing so.

Sedit qui timuit ne non succederet,
alf rehn