[iDC] The Internet as Playground and Factory - ACT I

Brian Holmes brian.holmes at aliceadsl.fr
Fri Jun 19 22:26:10 UTC 2009

Trebor Scholz asked:

 > What would you add?

Well, if that was Act I, then Act II would be interesting!

This has been the most stimulating list-discussion I've been
involved in for years. Maybe because of the orientation to a
future event, the range of specifically invited contributors
and the general anarchy of an open discussion, at a time
when things are happening fast in the world. The string of
snippets from our exchanges shows a focus on the production
of value, a set of unresolved questions about exploitation,
a debate over whether ideology critique has anything left to
say, and a concern, no longer over whether social media can
be a political force - that question has been answered by
the daily news - but how, in which directions, and I'd add
along with Ulises, what about here? (Here being wherever
each of us lives.) Among many many others we are certainly
left with Tiziana's question, or I am anyway:

"Is it possible to 'relativize' the notion of labor without
succumbing to the idea that we are all 'free' to produce,
share and contribute, and hence all is fine with the
Internet economy which in this way becomes an economic Eden
separated from the rest?"

And I'm also left with Christina's observation:

"Writing  is an enterprise leading to a  messed up,
incomplete, partial, almost-actualized piece of work.
Getting at some kind of logic, arguing back to premises, in
this case "the place of mutual donation " (Aliette). We can
never get it 'right' but the mutual editing is fantastic,
liberating."

For Act II, one approach would be to let it sink in a
little, then try a more sustained confrontation with the
work (and not just the posts) of somebody, or a couple
people, as a way to go more deeply and precisely into
things. I guess that's what I will do. Try to read
somebody's book, or check out their art or their programming
or their activist practice, and see if it's possible to
start a debate or a collaboration or a longer and more
sustained conversation. What I recall from the Free
Cooperation conference -- along with the many friendships
that started right there -- is a fascinating set of
experiments with the forms of presentation, the way
possibilities were stated in gestures as well as words. The
shape of a debate is rarely chosen by the participants, but
that's one of the things this particular event allows us to
do. The idea of mutual editing brings back experimental
echoes from other times, intriguing.

So thanks to all for the ideas!

Brian