[iDC] Iran-- Closed Cinemas, A Filtered Internet, Kurastami, Blogging about Sex and Music in Farsi

Frank Pasquale frank.pasquale at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 16:26:58 UTC 2009

I find Trebor's points below on the double-edged nature of these
technologies fascinating.  Yes, they're empowering people.  But an
op-ed in the NY Times yesterday worried that “the regime is prepared
to detain dissidents — reportedly using Facebook and Twitter to locate
them.”  Even if Twitter blocks such misuses of its data (it has
apparently responded to US State Department requests that it schedule
maintenance in order to maximize opportunities for dissent in Tehran),
we should ask:

1) who owns the underlying physical communications infrastructure?
2) is anything anyone does on these networks safely private?

Perhaps the twitter protests can be seen in the way that Vaclav Havel
modeled the "grocer who refuses to put up a sign" in his essay Power
of the Powerless--as open civil disobedience that assumes the risk of
persecution.  However, we can question the architecture that may make
digital samizdat an impossibility.

On that score, I recommend Michael D. Birnhack's and Niva
Elkin-Koren's paper The Invisible Handshake, which describes new and
hidden exchanges of information for power that are key to
government-business relations:

"Law enforcement agencies seek to enhance their monitoring capacity
and online businesses seek to prevent fraud and combat piracy while
strengthening their ties with authorities. . . . The invisible hand
[of market-based communications] turned out to be very useful for the
State, and it is now being replaced with a handshake, which, likewise,
is invisible. . . . The use of private parties for executing
government roles may create an unholy alliance between governments
that wish to exercise their power and large online players that seek
to maintain and strengthen their dominant role in the market."

at http://www.vjolt.net/vol8/issue2/v8i2_a06-Birnhack-Elkin-Koren.pdf

So even if "corporate social media" try to promote freedom, there are
many other layers of monitoring and control online.

-Frank