[iDC] Introduction: Sean Justice

Sean Justice sean at seanjustice.com
Tue Jun 16 22:08:33 UTC 2009

Hello iDC

I'm new on the list today and happy to be here. By way of a quick
introduction: I'm a photographer and artist in Brooklyn, teaching the
adjunct circuit in photography and digital art. I'm currently at NYU and the
International Center of Photography, and occasionally work with Parsons New
School University as well. In addition to teaching and my own personal
creative work, I've done commercial photography for much of my career,
though less so now.

My current interests revolve around emerging media pedagogy, especially in
relationship to the idea that we're "all photographers now," as has been
said. My personal art work often touches on pictorial culture and some of
its various manifestations. I'm intrigued by how learning and doing
photography and art has changed over the last 20 years that I've been
teaching, and current discussions on the list dovetail with stuff I deal
with in the classroom, especially pertaining to how education in new media
is both enhanced and frustrated by that new media. That topic is, in fact,
propelling me back to the classroom for myself, as I hope to begin a
doctorate at Teachers College/Columbia in art education, working on
curricula and classroom design in emerging media education.

I'm looking forward to joining this conversation.

You can check out some of my work on the blog and websites below, if you're
so inclined.

Thanks.

Sean Justice
--
Sean Justice
NYU Steinhardt

http://www.seanjustice.com/

Considering Pictures, an open journal about teaching and learning
photography.
http://seanjustice.blogspot.com/

The Scanning China Project: Learning to Live and Work in the Middle Kingdom
http://scanningchinaproject.com/

M: 347/232-5471