[iDC] introduction: where's the labour in software studies?

Dr. David Berry D.M.Berry at swansea.ac.uk
Tue Jun 16 11:34:19 UTC 2009

Hi

Trebor has asked me to introduce myself a number of times but I have
just never found the opportunity. However with the general chorus of
introductions I thought I would make an extra effort :-)

I am David Berry, based in the UK at Swansea University and my
research is focussed around the concept of code, through notions
developed through what is now being called 'software studies', but
more particularly my work has engaged with Free/Libre and Open Source
software. I recently published a monograph on FLOSS groups call Copy,
Rip, Burn: The Politics Of Copyleft and Open Source (Pluto 2008). I am
extremely interested in concepts of the information society and how
these relate to changes in the representation of and the means of
production themselves, more concretely in changes in the notion of the
commodity and its relation to labour-power. I am also looking at the
nature of finance capital, especially its spectacular nature and its
relation to technology and computability. My research spans the entire
breadth of technology-related theory, including the philosophy of
technology, phenomenology and actor-network theory (I am currently
fascinated by Latour's rather interesting notion of the Plasma, for
example).

In regard to the discussion I wonder if the focus on 'labour' needs to
be unpacked with notions of the labour process, in addition to labour
power itself, and the Marxian notion that 'moments are the elements of
profit'. Certainly it is interesting to see the way in which Agile
Programming and Extreme Programming, for example, concentrate on the
spatial and temporal organisation of the programming  process (both
with a panoptic, or perhaps oligoptic (Latour), inflection) and the
'craft' dimension to programming increasingly under threat (one thinks
here of UML/Z, and other mechanisms, mostly not completely successful,
to deskill or automate elements of the process). Other important
points in the rationalisation of programming include: modularity, code
review/peer review, outsourcing of labour (even to open-source
projects), and such like. Programming still takes time, and that time
is being paid for somewhere, somehow, whether it be via a foundation,
university, business entity or even by the individual themselves so we
must not lose sight of the production and political economy of
software/code but also the fact that the production of code is in
someway also a consumption of other code (interesting to think of this
in terms of Marx's depreciation model of machinery, but also linked to
the notion of software aging).

Best

David

---