[iDC] Terms of Agreement: The Internet as Playground and Factory

Cynthia Beth Rubin cbrubin at risd.edu
Mon Jun 15 23:56:53 UTC 2009

I want to return to the issue of ownership of posts on web sites.

Would it be possible to use this discussion to define reasonable terms
of agreement for users on all social networking sites?

I do believe that this is possible, because of a real-life experience
with changing Terms of Agreement.  The alumni association of Antioch
College in Yellow Springs, Ohio, signed an agreement with iModules to
provide a kind of "Facebook" experience for those of us who are
alums.  When some of read the "Terms of Agreement", it turned out that
we agreeing to give everything away. Some of us freaked and asked for
new terms (we worked together to write them).  It worked.  Quite
honestly, I suspect that the ridiculous terms were written by
attorneys with little understanding of social networking sites.  No
one at iModules thought that we were wrong to ask for new terms.

Below are some phrases from the current Terms of Agreement on the
Antiochians.org site (our alumni site -- and yes -- we are still in
existence)

7. Content submitted to this site
We do not assert any ownership over user content; rather, as between
us and you, subject to the rights granted to us in these Terms and
Conditions, you retain full ownership of all of your content and any
intellectual property rights or other proprietary rights associated
with your content.  . . .

xxxxxxxxxx(lots of stand stuff) - xxxxxxxxxxx

If you wish to grant other users or the general public additional
licenses to your content, you may include such terms with your content
such as:
Usage granted under Creative Commons License
http://creativecommons.org

Cynthia Beth Rubin
http://CBRubin.net