[iDC] some thoughts on digital labor and populations

Michael Bauwens michelsub2003 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 15 04:44:10 UTC 2009

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the precisions,

I think we could debate this forever, I'm arguing that things have changed, pointing to the evidence in the things that have changed, and you to the fact that things haven't changed that much, for most people, pointing to evidence in things staying the same.

But I do not find this a very interesting debate. My approach would be, we now have technical possibilities to globally coordinate small teams to create very complex social artefacts, in ways that outcompete traditional capitalist wage-labour formats, that increase the level of autonomy in important ways.

How do we increase and protect that autonomy in the face of the integration of those practices in new adapted forms of capitalism, or even use them to go beyond those limits. Alternatively, we focus on the recuperation practices and decide that the 'adversary' has already won, and can return to our comfortable jobs of being paid to be critical, or just leave all those capabilities to others.

I find the minorities that decide to be co-creative more interesting, and this is the whole world, than those who prefer to consume passively, oblivious of the new potential, and believe that historically it is always such minorities that have caused change.

The labour movement of the 19th century fought hard for universal literacy, public libraries and access to education, and I believe contemporary organizers are doing just the same, they are not waiting for a hypothetical OPLC, but using the tools at hand ... Does that mean they are 'winning' ... of course not, not by itself, but it is part of the toolbox of change ...

Michel