[iDC] some thoughts on digital labor and populations

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Sun Jun 14 12:54:06 UTC 2009

> Jeremy's realism makes sense, save that 'fundamentally the human
> condition'
> is - I'm sure this is familiar turf - an uncomfortably universalising
> phrase.

Yes, i worry about the universalization possible there, I think that
though there is more pluralistic particularistic possibilities in the
idea of a human condition than there is in the generalizng rhetoric of
the digital play and labor.   So i used it more of as a hand-waving
covering concept to the set of shared circumstances, narratives, etc.
Though it is meant to tease out, in time, a position of critique.

> The persistence of the past - not just of memory or nostalgia but of
> things,
> patterns, habits, atavisms, spiritualities and policy frameworks like
> Westphalia ? the persistenc eof the past is the ground on which we
> make the
> future. As Adorno says in criticism of Wittgenstein: the world is
> all that
> is not the case, all that is potential, all that could be but isn't.
> That is
> the difference between labour and work, and it is work that is the
> valuable
> rather than play, which has been assimilated into the artificial
> playworlds
> of corporate culture and the ideology of consumption far more
> successfully
> than the idea of work as the production of value other than exchange
> and
> sign.

I agree, I just tend to use different terms, conventions, norms,
controversies, modalities and trajectories.  Those myriad of things in
the assemblages projecting lines of flight, etc.  The 'history' the
generates the 'current'